Saturday, August 21, 2010

Can I make an hourly rate working for an employer if I am a massage therapist?

I am just out of school and I was excited to get a job. Little did I know the job is commission based, which they didn't tell me. I don't mind advertising, but I prefer an hourly rate and not having to deal with paying my taxes differently, are all massage jobs commission based?Can I make an hourly rate working for an employer if I am a massage therapist?
I have a really hard time believing that no one ever mentioned this the entire time you were going through school. A business and tax unit was part of the curriculum in my program, and I assume it would be for any other, since there were questions about it on the boards. And even if it weren't, I certainly would have found out what kind of living I could expect to make in a new career before committing to it!





Yes, 99% of massage jobs are commission based. Don't turn your nose up at commission, it's good money. Every once in a while you will find an employer who will deduct your taxes, but they are very few. If you don't want to be responsible, find yourself a good accountant. The market fluctuates throughout the year, it's true, but you just have to allow for that. When it's super busy and you're making money hand over fist, put some away for the leaner times. Build your reputation and your regular clientele will see you through the slow seasons.Can I make an hourly rate working for an employer if I am a massage therapist?
Yes most jobs are independent contractor positions but there should be some full employee jobs at some of the massage franchises and even spas or with chiropractors. I also think that many contractor jobs are taking advantage of massage therapists so that they don't have to pay the full employee benefits.





You will have to do your research and find those companies that are hiring. Paying taxes differently isn't such a big deal. You just have to set aside money out of every paycheck and pay quarterly taxes although you do pay more so you should be paid more per hour for that. You also have to pay your own health ins etc so you should be paid more per hour for that too. Just go to an accountant in the beginning to get you set up.
Some higher end spas will offer an hourly rate or an hourly rate plus commission, but it will be very low pay. Now is a horrible time for massage therapy due to the bad economy, especially if you don't already have an established client base.

No comments:

Post a Comment