Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How would I go about becoming a masseus/massage therapist?

If I want to go into a spa and get a job as a masseuse there, what do I need to have? What kind of license/certification/etc.?





I'm just in high school right now but I would like to have this job while I study psychology for a career later on. Is this an easy job to get or do I have to study anatomy and all that? Enlighten me :)How would I go about becoming a masseus/massage therapist?
You have to study anatomy, physiology, pathology as well as massage theory and techniques and professional communication skills.





Most massage therapists start their own business. You can get jobs but they are usually low paying. A job is as easy to get as you think it is... You will learn that in psychology classes.How would I go about becoming a masseus/massage therapist?
The kind of license depends on your state. It's different in every state, and in California it's even different in each city or county.





Most states require around 500 hours of trade school, which you can complete in 6 months if you go full time. New York %26amp; Nebraska have the highest requirements at 1,000 hours. After school you must pass a standardized written test and perhaps a practical state exam to get your license.





All massage schools require at least one basic anatomy and physiology class. You must know every bone and muscle in the body, including where the muscles attach on the bones, which direction the muscle moves, muscles that assist each other and muscles that inhibit each other.





I thought it was very easy and didn't even have to study! Others found it difficult and failed their exams several times. It depends on your natural abilities and how hard you apply yourself.





There's so much more to getting a job than thinking it's easy to get. There must be demand for it, and you must be able to complete the requirements for licensing. There is great demand for massage therapists and it is growing!





To find out the requirements for your state, do a Google search on 'massage State of {your state}' and contact several schools in your area. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment