Saturday, August 21, 2010

Massage Therapists - Question about intention?

Does intention (caring) really matter in massage?


I get the highest grades on evaluations and the most compliments/business card requests than the other students at Cortiva, yet I don't ';care'; like the other students do. Consequently, other students say ';he's not a good massage therapist because he doesn't care,'; even though I can back up skill on paper better than anyone else.


So does intention REALLY matter? Or is it just something we're fed in school? Clients have never thought that I don't really care. Just a few students.Massage Therapists - Question about intention?
How does any one else know whether you care or not apart from yourself? And haven't you heard of the phrase, ';putting one's heart into it?'; If you love your work, your intentions will obviously come through.





By the way, since you are a massage therapist, think of adding aromatherapy (essential oils), Bach Flowers and Reiki to your skill set. You will make a wonderful healer.Massage Therapists - Question about intention?
In my opinion (and I could really get on my soapbox here, I'll try not to!):





Intention is everything.





People often are quick to judge and point fingers. Ever here of the saying: ';If one finger is pointing, three are pointing back';? Meaning, often people's judgments of others are actually projections of their own fears and shameful feelings.





Intention is everything.





What is *your* intention when you give massage? Why did you decide to go to massage school?





A common ';problem'; amongst those who are attracted to massage therapy is that they care TOO much. Many of these types burn themselves out of the profession in a matter of months or a few years. They know all too well how to take care of others but are much poorer of how to take care of themselves. Possibly those accusing you of not caring are these types?





On the other hand, if you simply have some mental knowledge about how to do massage (you said you can do the written tests well) and you do not enjoy giving massage (does it bore you?) then maybe you're heart really isn't in it. If so, then what IS your heart into? Do that.





I love doing bodywork. I would do it still if I had millions of dollars. See my profile and email me if you want to hear my story.





Jason
Take a minute and ask yourself. What's in my heart? And there's your answer.Intention does matter. I know I went to massage school too and left it because my heart just was not there. What's in your head does not matter, if what's in your soul differs.
Hi - I am a massage therapist too, and I really think intention is everything.





I wonder what you mean by ';care';, when you say you don't care about your clients. Caring and intention are two different things.





When you are massaging your clients are you hoping that you relieve their muscle tension and loosen up their knots? Are you hoping you help with their problem and do you use the best techniques you know for doing so? If so, then you are using your intention, anything more than that takes it beyond the massage room.





Just the act of massaging someone alone, whether intentional or not, is an act of ';caring';, but does not generally have to meet your personal definition of the word caring. There are different levels of caring, this type of caring is on a professional level, and does not, and probably should not, extend beyond that anyway.





Hope my introspections helped you with yours!
  • eye liner
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment