Saturday, August 21, 2010

What do you have to do to become a massage therapist?

What's massage school like?What do you have to do to become a massage therapist?
Most states and cities require a minimum of 500 hours of courses. Then depending on where you would like to work, you may need to aquire the National Certification (which is a 2 hour test and cost between 175 and 200 to take) Also , there is the State Nursing board, which is just a $25. fee. I am a massage therapist and used to teach massage at the ARE in Virginia. Massage school for me was the greatest transformation of my life! You learn so much more than just massage! You learn a lot about yourself and life.It was just thee best time of my life. I love it so much that I stayed at the school and became the instructor. You will have to learn anatomy/physiology -which is difficult- I won't lie! I just kept my flash cards with me at all times. There is a lot of Latin terminology! Then you have an Ethics course , which you will learn a lot about the Buisness part of Therapy. I went to the ARE which is the Association for Research and Enlightenment- Edgar Cayce's foundation.The BEST school in the whole Country! We had several other classes, Cayce's Remedies, Tai Chi, Dreams and Meditation, Hydrotherapy(steams and facials)Reflexology, acupressure,Intermediate and Advanced massage. There are several other courses you can add on. I hope you choose this path , You won't regret it. If you have any more questions, feel free to email me., Whoops, almost for got - you also have to go to City Hall and get a permit to work as a therapist in the city, it will cost around $30.What do you have to do to become a massage therapist?
I don't know much about this, but I'm sure you'll have to have some anatomy and physiology classes....you'll have to learn all the muscles and their respective groups. You'll also have to be able to physically perform a massage, which can be very tiring to your arms and hands. Check with your local community colleges, or other colleges and see what they offer. Before you check on this, make sure that there is a need for this in your community. It doesn't do any good for you to have all this training and certifications if you can't get a job, or have the clientele to support you. Best of luck to you.
i go to massage therapy school in florida. i paid for tuition and got in. 750hrs are required and you have to pass the state board test, and then you will receive a licence to practice. every school is different. you usually can look up the school you want to go to on the internet and get the info the school requires. massage school isnt as easy as some people think, you have to know about 70 to 80 muscles where they are, how they work, bones of the body, massage history and practices, state law, and its very fast paced. dont let it scare you, stick with it. you have many career options, and very good pay. 60 dollars an hour and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment