Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Who gets paid more,a cosmetologist or massage therapist?

A cosmetologist or a massage therapist?


Because I'm really into hair and makeup, but then my mom says I should be a massage therapist because I give good massages plus that they make lots of money.Who gets paid more,a cosmetologist or massage therapist?
I've been a licensed nail technician for three years, so I've worked in tons of day spas and salons with other cosmetologists and massage therapists. Although it really comes down to what kind of salon you work in and how you get paid, a massage therapist makes more more consistently due to the fact that their rates (even when they don't work for themselves and the salon sets the prices) are always basically the same, say $50 hr and every salon I know of pays by commission. Cosmetologists (operators) can also make good money off commission, but the prices vary greatly. The comm. from a perm or color would be high, but then low from a lip wax or manicure. But the job opportunities vary greatly too. Both operators and massage therapists can work for themselves and set their own prices or work for someone, but I don't really know of any salons that will pay a mt hourly or offer any benefits, where an operator can work for a chain like Regis or Smart Style and have a guarateed hourly pay plus commission, benefits, etc. I always regretted not getting my operator license because my manicurist license sooo limited what I could do and how much I could get paid. So if you want to make this a long term career with the hope of stability and benefits, you might want the cos. op. license since the sky's the limit. Massage therapists can make great money setting their own hrs. and prices, true, but unless you live in a very large city with access to a large spa that offers benefits, you would most likely be pretty much on your own as far as covering your benefits and paying taxes. Hope this helped a little! Who gets paid more,a cosmetologist or massage therapist?
its all on where you work, some places are more busy, others give better tips, etc..etc... and what career path you follow once you choose one of these roads
massage therapist

No comments:

Post a Comment