Saturday, August 21, 2010

I'm a licensed massage therapist, what do I have to do to get my clients massages covered by insurance?

I've been a therapist for three years, and finally got to open my own business. Where I was before ( a chiropractic office), the clients could get the massages covered by insurance. I found out that even though I'm on my own now, I can still do that. Does anyone know how to get that started?I'm a licensed massage therapist, what do I have to do to get my clients massages covered by insurance?
It only covers massage if people are injured or have some disease or condition that massage could help. You can bill for car accidents and workmans comp in most states. To get a HMO or PPO to pay you should start writing to your insurance commissioner to get them to change the laws so that ins. companies have to allow you to be contracted providers. That is what we did in WA State.I'm a licensed massage therapist, what do I have to do to get my clients massages covered by insurance?
Basically, it won't be easy. Most insurance companies DO NOT want to pay for massages, for obvious reasons (it costs them money!).





Really you will have to tell your clients what to tell their doctors. Like 'my back pain is really bad but I don't want to take pills...is there any other option?' Stuff like that. It might be fibbing a little...but seriously, people need massages, it helps with stress and everything and it should be covered by insurance so why not fib a bit.
You found that out from what source? Realistically, you'd have to get yourself listed as a health care provider with major medical insurers. I'm not sure that your profession qualifies if not under the care of a chiropractor or other health care professional?
Check insurance companies offers. In Uk you need to have liability insurance, not so expensive and very useful.
You have to call each of the insurance companies, and get a provider contract with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment