Saturday, August 21, 2010

Massage Therapist: How is the economy treating you?

I always dreaming of being in the massage therapy and holistic healing field and am at a point where I can finally pursue it, but I have a son and cant afford to chase rainbows. Would hate to go through the program and not find a job. For those who are in the field, how is the economy affecting you?Massage Therapist: How is the economy treating you?
I've been in business for myself for the past ten years and have gradually built up a loyal clientele base.





You can expect the going to at the beginning especially at the beginning of your career and as you gain more real world experience.





My advice is


- plan ahead for monetary shortfalls (assume this will occur from time to time)


- have a second work option. (I did personal training when I didn't have massage clients)


- educate yourself on the best low cost marketing tactics. Your public library is an excellent resource for this)


- Pay attention to the little things as you work


- Continue learning even after massage school. Formal schooling gives you the basic. Continuing Education will help to hone your skills


- Join a professional a support network or online forum that focuses on bodywork. You'll be able to ask and answer questions that are common to other body workers. Example: http://www.bodyworkonline.com/forum/ is an excellent and well established forum.


- Above all: stay very healthy as massage is a physically taxing career (strength, posture, endurance).


- Be prepared for success! If you are really good at what you do be prepared to busy.





Take a look at the newsletter of February 2008 (http://www.muchkneadedmassage.com/newsletter/FEB2008/). It outlines My Top 10 Tips. I hope you find my Top 10 Countdown to be of value in keeping you in tip top shape.








The economic downturn has prompted me to work smarter where marketing is concerned. I work for myself, therefore the issue of ';finding a job'; isn't there. I've been making a conscious effort to get word-of-mouth referrals via my existing client base.





Hope this helpsMassage Therapist: How is the economy treating you?
I've been a massage practitioner for 4 years and have never been busier than I am now! I was only working 3 days a week until April when I decided to work 5 days a week in response to the increase in demand. People are stressed out and are looking for relaxation.





I've never worked for anyone so I can't say what it's like to 'find a job'. I've always been self-employed and have never had problems attracting clients.
While I am not a massage therapist, I have a friend who is. My advice is just about going to the right school. She chose Everest (aka Olympia), and hasn't been able to find work for a year now. It was a poor education that cost her $14,000 in high-rate student loans. I wish you the best of luck in achieving your goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment