Thursday, August 5, 2010

Can I pursue a career as a massage therapist if I had a hand injury?

About a year ago I fractured my hand. I don't have pain in it but it's obviously not as strong as it used to be. Can this be a problem if I want to pursue a career as a massage therapist?Can I pursue a career as a massage therapist if I had a hand injury?
In massage school you will learn bodymechanics to use your body more than your hands to take the stress off of them. Getting massage may also help you hand to recover more and get stronger. There are also many types of massage that are less stressful on the hands like cranial-sacral work and even a type of massage called 'No Hands Massage'; where you use your forearms and elbows totally.





Be sure you know what you are getting into in a career in massage too. There is a lot more to it than just doing massage. Most massage therapists start their own business and most so called 'jobs' are independent contractor jobs where you are basically really self employed. It takes a lot of extra training beyond initial massage school to be able to charge a decent amount of money to make it in this business. You also have to have business and marketing skills.Can I pursue a career as a massage therapist if I had a hand injury?
Sure, there's no reason why you shouldn't try it. You say it's ';obviously'; not as strong as it used to be. Is it really weaker, or do you expect it to be weaker? Weight-bearing exercise has been proven to improve bone density. Massage is definitely weight bearing exercise.
Can you press down real hard, on and off, for several hours a day? This is something you need to discuss with your doctor.
  • eye liner
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment